Heard about shakshouka a while ago and it keeps cropping up, so I decided to try a £1 version, to see what the buzz was about. Amazing! I shouldn’t have put so much lemon in, mind, but, still, sooo nice!
-4 eggs 32p
-500ml tomato puree 26p
-several mustard leaves 10p
-4 chilis 16p
-1/4 lemon 4p
1. Pour the tomato puree into a pan.
2. Peel and roughly chop the onion. Add to the pan.
3. Slice the lemon and chilis. Add to the tomato alongside the spices and put on a low heat.
4. When the onion begins to clear and the tomato is bubbling, make a space in it and crack an egg in. Repeat with the other three eggs.
5. Slice some mustard leaves and add.
6. When the eggs are poached-through, serve.